As the Real Estate market picks up and many are looking to list their homes, it is important to make sure your house is ready for inspection!
Home inspections provide a great impartial opinion of a home’s condition. In order to make sure your house does well when it comes inspection time, follow these 8, simple steps:
1. Fix any damaged walkways and seal cracks in the driveway.
2. Recaulk doors and windows, and have any missing shingles on the roof, replaced.
3. Have a plumbing/heating and cooling professional service your furnace, AC, and hot water heater.
4. Replace any broken windows and make sure they open and close correctly.
5. Clean your fireplace and chimney. Make sure everything operates properly.
6. Fix any leaky faucets and do necessary grout repair around tubs and sinks.
7. Have an Electrician check electrical outlets and receptacle.
8. Test smoke detectors and replace batteries if needed.
On inspection day:
Make sure to set aside an appropriate amount of time. Inspections can take 2-3 hours for the average sized home.
Ensure that the inspector can get to all areas of the home. Make sure the attic, basement, garage, yard, and other spaces are unlocked and that there is nothing blocking the AC, furnace, and water heater.
Put pets in crates or take them out with you to ensure their safety and that of the inspector.
For peace of mind, put all medications and valuables away or remove them from the home completely.